Monday 18 October 2010

A blog about education

So yesterday I saw a youtube video that really got me thinking. And really freaked me out.

It was an RSAnimate to a talk by Sir Ken Robinson about changing education paradigms.

Not really selling it you you am I?

Trust me, it was amazing.
It was so true.
And it was so fucking scary.

It made me realise that even as a 2nd year student in a 'top' university I am no more guaranteed a job than the next person.

Why?

Because everyone, it seems, will be as equally qualified when I go to get a job in 2 years time. The education system in this country is fucked up. Basically. This talk pretty much said that we are educating children in this country as if we were still in the industrial era, and that if we want kids to learn then we need to keep up with the technological era what we are now in. Otherwise kids will get bored.

So last night in my flat we had a bit of a discussion about the university education that we are all receiving.

I can't remember the exact figures, but we were discussing how 20 years ago maybe 3% of the population got a university education... now it maybe 20%.

So even though, in theory, I am against the rise in university fees... it may actually help stop the rise in 'mickey mouse' degrees that devalue my own degree.

I am a Psychology student.

I am a student of BSc Psychology at the University of Birmingham, 3rd in the country for research... well it was in 2009, I dunno about now.
But, many people think of Psychology as a cop out subject.
Many, many people with 'bad' A levels do Psychology at 'bad' universities.
Thus, it gets a bad name.

However, what people don't realise is that there is a BIG difference between BA Psychology and BSc Psychology.

BA Psychology isn't accredited by the BPS and as such is pretty much worthless.
BSc Psychology is a SCIENCE. And is fucking difficult.


</rant>

I've also realised that I have little idea what I want to do with my life.

And that is really freaking me out right now.

Apparently now is the time I'm supposed to be making those decisions.

I'm 19, FFS!

I've barely completed my second decade of life and I'm supposed to be deciding how to spend the rest of it.

Well I'm not ready for that right now, so the world can just wait, I'm sure it won't mind.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment